Insulation from the outside: the complete guide
Thermal insulation from the outside or "ITE" is renowned for its efficiency: it considerably improves the energy performance of the home, ensuring daily comfort while reducing energy consumption.
The principle of thermal insulation from the outside
Insulation from the outside consists of wrapping the entire frame of the house with an insulating blanket: it is a way of eliminating thermal bridges, or areas of heat loss caused by the junctions between the building elements.
Between the walls and the windows, between the walls and the roof, between the walls and the floors ... the junctions of structures are so many weak points, and the external envelope then makes it possible to create a form of sealing between the interior of the building. building and exterior.
The materials used for the exterior insulation are the same as the interior insulation materials, namely:
- Mineral wools, i.e. glass wool and rock wool
- Synthetics, such as expanded or extruded polystyrene, or polyurethane,
- Natural insulators such as sheep's wool, plant fibers - wood, hemp, cellulose wadding, etc.
The advantages of exterior insulation
By offering the best solutions against thermal bridges, insulation from the outside has excellent technical performance, more particularly from a thermal point of view. It remains effective against all external noise pollution.
In addition, while in interior insulation we lose living space by laying the layers of insulation, insulation from the outside takes no place in the living space: it is a good solution for houses with small living areas.
The exterior insulation does not change the interior space: it is also an advantage during the installation site, which will hardly change everyday life and remains easier to live with than an indoor site.
Finally, recognized for its qualities, exterior insulation is also a good way to enhance your property.
Installation conditions and installation of thermal insulation from the outside
Before embarking on the installation of insulation from the outside, it is better to check that the project is compatible with the rules of the PLU - Local Urban Plan - of the municipality. It is sometimes necessary to obtain the agreement of the Architects of Buildings of France - ABF.
To install the insulation, three techniques can be used:
- The simplest technique is to glue the insulation - here wood or expanded polystyrene - directly to the wall. Full by studs or by rolls, the type of installation depends on the quality of the coating. In general, this technique is more suitable for new constructions. In renovation, the support must be well prepared.
- For all types of insulation, for all coverings and whatever the condition and structure of the partition, the wedge-fixed or wedge-peg technique holds the insulation both by glue and by expansion anchors, through.
- Finally, mechanical fixing consists of fixing the insulation - expanded polystyrene - on a rail structure. This technique is used on flat walls.
TIP: THE ideal ITE for facade renovation
Take advantage of renovation work to install thermal insulation from the outside: in addition to an improvement in energy performance, your house will benefit from a new exterior appearance.