A new event – the White Rock Promenade Sculpture Competition – is scheduled for the waterfront from September 14, 2022 to August 30, 2023.
But although this is planned by the White Rock Events Society, which previously organized the Sea Festival and was involved in the attempt to revive the White Rock Sandcastle Contest in 2018 and 2019, organizers Deanna Pedersen and Cindy Poppy want everyone to know that will not be the case. be on the beach – and will not include any sand sculptures.
“There will be no sand involved in any way,” Pedersen said with a laugh, during a recent meeting with Peace Ark News.
Instead, the trial project, unanimously approved by White Rock council at its March 28 meeting, will be modeled on successful sculpture walks in Castlegar and Penticton, juried exhibitions in those towns. which include sculptures of all kinds arranged in high-traffic outdoor pedestrian areas.
The White Rock exhibit will include 10 different sculptures, selected by a selection committee and placed on the grass adjacent to the boardwalk, between the pier and White Rock (P’Qalls).
There will be a cash prize of $15,000 for the “people’s choice” of the best sculpture (second prize $1,000, third prize $500) as well as a first prize of $5,000, a second prize of 1 $000 and a third prize of $500 for sculptures that the committee selects as having exceptional artistic value.
“It is an outdoor event, so we will be able to comply with all current or future pandemic protocols; it will benefit artists and promote the city as an arts destination,” Pedersen said. “It’s a win-win-win.”
Council also approved a one-time contribution of $10,000 from the City‘s 2022 operating reserve to fund in-kind expenses and a one-time cash contribution of $15,000 to the White Rock Events Society funded from the reserve. of the City’s 2022 operating plan to help launch the competition in 2022. -23.
However, monetary contributions and assistance from the city to place precast concrete plinths for the sculptures is contingent on the company raising approximately 75% of its $75,000 ($56,250) sponsorship budget – but Pedersen and Poppy say they’re confident they can achieve the goals they set.
“We’re on to the next step now, which is to launch the sponsorship campaign,” Poppy said.
“We literally just got the endorsement letter from the mayor and council, which is a huge plus for approaching sponsors. We have a list and now we can start on that.
Although the board initially rejected the proposal – on a staff recommendation – when it was first presented in February, a subsequent motion by the board. Erika Johanson brought it back for reconsideration and examination.
In response to a dumb question. Recreation and Culture Director Christopher Trevelyan, Eric Stepura, told the council that staff are now recommending the event.
“In the discussions we had with the organisers, we clarified and made a decision as to where this would go so that it did not impact other uses of the seafront, such as the promenade artists and where we have our various food vendors.
“Initially, we thought they would need to dig deep enough to put in place concrete slabs poured in place, and this is not the case. We found a solution with portable concrete slabs that we can put in place, so this has been solved.
“The other issue is that with the decision to go into a memorandum letter (with the company) we can clarify, in particular, things like the selection process for art and artists, and that was also agreed.”
Pedersen and Poppy said they will be issuing an official call for sculpture submissions soon, but in the meantime artists who wish to submit their creations can get more information on the parameters by emailing [email protected] gmail.com
The competition is wide open in terms of style of work and choice and materials, they said. Although the plan for future years is to select works that meet each year’s theme, entries for the competition this year do not have to meet any thematic criteria, they added.
“The materials need to be able to survive the elements for a year, including rain and wind,” Poppy said. “They also need to be safe knowing that people and children will interact with them.”
“We don’t want sharp, pointy things,” Pedersen observed. “It is inevitable that children will climb on it.”
The competition will also likely adhere to community standards by avoiding sculptures that feature unclothed human bodies, they said.
“Since the Peace Arch Cultural Alliance and the city will be helping with the selection process, I highly doubt they would approve of anything that goes against that,” Poppy said.
Artists can also – this year, at least – submit sculptures that have already been completed, for which drawings of the finished work as well as photos can be submitted.
Each artist selected for the 10 spots will receive a $500 honorarium, although the works remain the property of the artists and are considered “on loan” for the year.
If works are sold during the year, the company will receive a 30% commission per piece, Poppy said. At the end of the year, the society will organize a public auction of unsold works, in which all artists can participate and for which the society will receive a 30% commission on the sale price.
The company will provide full insurance to cover the sculptures against theft or vandalism and public liability, although the insurance does not cover damage or liability for damage due to faults in the construction of the sculpture, the workmanship or materials.
“It’s very exciting,” Pedersen said. “Maybe we’ll have up to 100 different designs submitted.”
“The Museum said they would help us with the opening and the city said they would provide us with tents,” Poppy added.
“It’s starting to look really good – it’s real now.”
ArtsCity of White Rock